Saturday, July 10, 2010

"The world is an egg" (literal translation from portuguese...sorry)

So for the first time since I had arrived, I went out of Hong Kong Island last night to have dinner and drinks with a work colleague and her girlfriends. We went to Kowloon and picked a bar with a gorgeous view of the Harbour.

It was a great evening. Food was pricey but good, we had cocktails during happy hour (found out that I really like strawberry daikiri... nice and sweet) and chatted a lot. The girls were super easy going and soon it felt like I knew them a long time already. The original plan was actually to stay out longer and hit a club, but by 11 something I was already super tired, the others too so we took a stroll along the Promenade also known as Avenue of the Stars - i took a picture with Jackie Chang's handprints, the only Chinese star I knew...

I wanted to take the Star Ferry back to Hong Kong Island but unfortunately it was already closed. Anyway, I guess it was meant to be as I had quite a surprise when I took the MTR back home:

there I was at Admiralty station, waiting to for connect to Taikoo when I saw this chinese girl and thought she looked familiar. So i looked again and she was too looking intentively at me, I thought perhaps she was from work as I don't really know chinese people from anywhere else. But no, I was wrong; I did know chinese from somewhere else: she was an exchange student in Deggendorf a couple of years ago!!!

Totally crazy and random, wasn't it?! I mean to originally meet in Deggendorf - of all places- and then without even planning, to catch up again in Hong Kong, late at night at the subway station?!?! There are 6 million people in Hong Kong, not counting the thousands of visitors!!

Anyway, she remembered me too...actually better than I did her, as she called me by name and I had to pull the old save-your-number-on-my-mobile trick to get hers... but yeah, so now I can say I know a few more people in Hong Kong as there are a few other chinese exchange students from Deggendorf who also live here. Plus there is also a spanish exchange student who is here doing voluntary work... crazy, isn't it?!! So yeah, I'm meeting them all for drinks tomorrow night. And the world is a real small place. (hence the egg brazilian metaphor!)

P.S.: Unpleasantly met another long-time-not-seen "friend" last night: cockroaches... blargh! They don't show up very often in Germany (i don't think I've ever seen one there) but it seems I'll have to get used to see them around here in Hong Kong...

1 comment:

  1. the world is an egg for sure! hahahaha. what a nice coincidence! uurgh, nobody gets used to see cockroaches! yesterday we went to a restaurant called nakumbuka and it was the most disgusting thing when we saw a huge one flying around our table! HORRIBLE!

    ReplyDelete