Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Typhoons

I guess this blog should be called 'Miss P: the lazy blogger'. Sorry readers, I have new ideas of things to write almost everyday, I even write things up in mind... but when it comes to actually typing and posting it, I'm such a disaster! Anyway, here I am, back again...hopefully i'll be back tomorrow again!

So, i'll share an exciting thing about Hong Kong: Typhoons!

We don't get typhoons either in Brazil (Thank God! we don't have the infrastructure to survive that...) or in Germany, so coming here and living everyday with the possibility of one coming, it's cool!

So it's typhoon season around here and so far, in these almost 4 weeks, there have been 2 warnings already! But let me explain: typhoon warnings go in level 1, 3, 8, 9 and 10.

Level 1 and 3, the typhoon is probably passing pretty far and is just a huge annoyance and no excitement. The weather keeps suddently changing, it rains a lot, streets get flooded and there is no real danger, so we still have to get to work. But last week we got to level 3 and it started a black rainstorm!

Now, if it gets to level 8, that's another story. I still haven't seen it, but I've learned that if a level 8 warning is given, we are to stay home. And you will know whenever any typhoon warning is given cause there will be signs everywhere. It will be also shown on tv; last week I saw it right on top of the screen when we had the level 3.

Wikipedia tells me there is a level 9, though i had never heard of it. It also tells me that a level 10 is already a Hurricane. And reading it called like that kinda puts things into perspective a little more.... damn, a Hurricane!

So now i'm starting to think i don't really wanna see it... not a level 10 and even not a level 8, cause while it might be exciting to see it from the safety of my window (and get a day off from work), lots of people living in lesser conditions will suffer lots and that's definetely not cool. It's kinda like when foreigners go to Brazil and enjoy the excitement of being robbed.... :S

Ok, hadn't foreseen the posting going this way... conscience call i guess. Anyway, now you know about typhoons too, so if you come to the area in the next months, be aware. If you have any experience with it, share with us.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I don't have experiences with it. did you know that if I google misspblogging, I can find you really fast? how does exactly this thoora.com work?

    ReplyDelete