Monday, July 12, 2010

Shopping - part 2: MongKok

So since Saturday turned out to be more of a shopping day, I thought I'd make Sunday I sightseeing day. Early enough I gave up the idea of Lantau and the Buddha again as it would take super long to get there and I'd have to ask strangers to take pictures for me, which i wasn't in the mood for.

I decided then to head to Kowloon and visit the Tin Hau Temple by Yau Ma Tei MTR station. Pretty place but super warm! I mean, it was already a very warm day and inside the small temples there are lots of incenses, really huge ones, all burning in the honor of the gods or for protection of families. And yes, the temple is pretty too. Unfortunately it's not allowed to take pictures inside.

So i looked around, took picture from the outside (didn't really turn out great... the cool stuff is really inside) and decided to head to the Jade Market. Ok ok... it was supposed to be sightseeing day, I know! I planned to go there purely to experience it culturally! See the beautiful stuff and maybe, just maybe practice some negotiation skills.(I was instructed to start always from half the price I'd be given and not give too much in).

And yes, i did buy a few things. All pretty and successfully negotiated! Or at least I hope so...

Next stop was supposed to be Temple Street Market, again for purely cultural reasons. But it was too early and they were still building tents up so I headed down on Nathan Road and surprisingly found yet anothe shopping area, with lots of people and looooooots of stores.

Soon I found out: I was in Mongkok. Or Shopping Heaven, as I like to think of it now. Or Triads main territory as my guidebook informed me. (The Triads are the ancient gangs of China! But my book clarified that it shouldn't be dangerous for foreigners as it's always busy and they don't wanna do any harm to the business in the area, of course).

People I'm telling you, awesome place to go shopping. Lots of stores with real stuff for really good price and market areas with plenty of fakes. So really, stuff for all tastes. Thankfully, I was able to control myself quite well and only bought a few t-shirts and a sandal... and a few small trinkets ;)

And for the sake of my finantial health, I vow to stay away from that place as much as I possibly can. (fingers crossed people!)

1 comment:

  1. you managed to find a shoopping heaven on your first weekend! sis, you are awesome! hahahahaha
    fingers crosses for you finantial health indeed! just kidding, you have your head in the right place! I'm reading a Marian Keyes' book called Casório (same style of the others, of course, sweet and with no need for brain activity! just what I want. hahaha). Tio Roberto is arriving on this saturday! our parents will be going to gravatá, but I might stay home for a break. mom is complaining too much about me, so she might need to miss me a little bit to make things easier. (just kidding, I don't know about my weekend yet, it's too far away!). well, anyway, don't tell her that.
    kisses

    ReplyDelete